Thursday, June 26, 2014

I Have Left My Heart In So Many Places!

30 Day Blogging Challenge

Day Ten

The best trip of your life

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page" - Saint Augustine

I have seen only a small part of the world and long to see more so picking my best trip yet is going to be quite difficult.

Until 2003 I had never been on a plane, Ever! Since then I've flown to New Zealand twice, the UK twice, France and of course my inaugural trip to the United States.

My first trip in 2003 is certainly a contender for best trip ever. I cried upon finally reaching my hotel room in Boston, seriously I didn't make it pass the hall way. I closed the door and collapsed in tears against it. I left three hours earlier than needed as the hotels fire alarm went off and although the corridors were empty I panicked grabbed my bags and checked out, turns out it was a false alarm. I spent $100 on a taxi fare instead of about $8 on a train fare because I was worried I'd get lost. I don't regret this though as my taxi driver was amazing and gave me a history lesson on the twenty minute trip to the greyhound station. I was shy, young and scared. It took me ages to open up to my fellow camp counsellors. The food was strange, the kids were strange, the weather was humid, the Mosquitos never slept, the moths were HUGE and the spiders looked robotic.

Despite all of that I loved the experience. The camp had a lot of administration issues to start with which caused a few people to hate it but I can't fault it. The whole experience made me grow as a person. I discovered a new stronger more confidant side of myself and I met some fantastic people. It doesn't hurt that I also spent two weeks after camp at Disneyland, Los Angeles.

After that I took two trips to New Zealand. Now New Zealand is a beautiful country but there was nothing spectacular about either trip so they were great trips but not the best of my life.

In 2007 I went to the UK. I was visiting a good friend and happened to meet my soul mate, The Husband! I spent a lot of time in Scotland, and I fell in love with the country. This trip could be the best of my life because if I hadn't have taken it I would never have met the man who owns my heart and soul.

There was a few years between trips for me but this year my family and I went back to the UK and to France. It was an amazing holiday. I got to meet in-laws I hadn't yet met, I caught up with good friends and got to see them settled and happy with families of their own. I got to see my children interact with cousins and uncles and aunts and spend quality time with their Nana and Grandad. I saw my husband relaxing and happy as he caught up with his brothers and sister. I did a lot of shopping and I got a small break from reality. Oh and I visited Disneyland Paris!

I think each of my three big trips are tied for position as the best trip of my life. I love to travel and each one has allowed me to see a new part of the world while adding something important to my life.

Where have you been? What have you seen? Which trip is the best of your life?

Skye


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment